Healthcare Cleaning Operative Level 2 Apprenticeship
Learn how to provide a hygienically clean healthcare environment in which service users, staff and other users can thrive, work and develop.
Who is the Healthcare Cleaning Operative Level 2 Apprenticeship For?
This apprenticeship is designed for employees whose sole responsibility is cleaning the work environment to a high standard in a professional healthcare setting.
This apprenticeship is also suitable for cleaning operatives working in environments where an exceptional standard of cleanliness is imperative prevent adverse effects on the health of high-risk service users.
It is suitable for workers in hospitals, care homes, doctors/dentist surgeries, healthcare settings within prisons, schools and childcare facilities, leisure facilities and first aid settings.
What Does The Course Cover?
This apprenticeship programme is designed to ensure your care hygiene and cleaning operatives have a thorough understanding of how to create an extremely safe environment within a healthcare or high-risk area.
- How to provide routine hygienic cleaning of the healthcare environment to maintain all standards in compliance with the National Standard of Healthcare Cleanliness 2019 as a minimum as well as local standards policy, guidelines and operating procedures.
- How to undertake specialist cleaning projects when required.
- How to identify the safest and most appropriate methods of cleaning for different situations.
- Cleaning organisational skills.
- How to identify and use the correct cleaning products and chemicals for the job, and how to safely store these products in compliance with COSHH.
- How to maintain good housekeeping practices, stock management and record keeping.
- How to manage infection prevention and control.
- How to safely manage equipment to the correct standards.
Course cost: £4,000
Employer contribution: 5% (£200)
Level 2 Diploma Healthcare Cleaning Operative
This course will last 12 months and is delivered during normal working hours. Training can be flexible to meet the needs of your organisation. We use a blend of online, webinar and practical sessions, and the apprentice will receive regular 1-1 sessions and support from their tutor.
Learners will need to meet the following requirements:
- 16 years of age or older
- Work ready
- An interest in Healthcare and Cleaning
- Equivalent to Level 1 English and Maths
What Qualifications Will Be Achieved?
Level 2 Diploma Healthcare Cleaning Operative
This qualification is government funded and falls under the Apprenticeship Levy Scheme. For non-levy paying organisations, it requires a 5% employer contribution.
Total cost of training is £4,000. The employer is required to fund 5% of this equating to £200.
Business that have less than 50 employees won’t pay anything if they employ apprentices under the age of 19, and will receive a £1000 incentive payment. This will be discussed during the initial engagement to determine eligibility.
Key knowledge and skills learners will gain on this course:
- National and local standards including PPE, NHS cleaning specifications, waste disposal, safeguarding and data protection.
- Risk management and risk assessments.
- Preparation for cleaning.
- Chemical competence and COSHH.
- Selecting the correct cleaning equipment and chemicals, and the importance of PAT testing.
- Standard Operating Procedures.
- Infection prevention and control, such as segregation of waste, proper waste disposal, cleaning where patients are being barrier nursed, compliance with cleaning and disinfecting policies and colour coding.
- Pest identification and control.
- Rapid response cleaning.
- Scheduled and periodic cleaning, and work prioritisation.
- Types of cleaning and the difference between disinfection and cleaning including terminal cleans, barrier cleans, isolation cleans, discharge cleans and decontamination cleans.
- Personal hygiene.
- Assembling and disassembling key equipment (such as hospital beds).
- Soil classification / contaminating material and removal methods.
- Housekeeping of storage areas best practice.
- Security of cleaning equipment and materials.
- Communication techniques.
- Equality and diversity training.
- The importance of corporate image.
This Apprenticeship will develop your employees’ behaviours in the following areas:
- Dignity, respect and professionalism.
- Working independently and in a team.
- Reliability, consistency and integrity in your work.
- Time management.
- Work flexibility when required.
- Analytical thinking and problem solving.